The Brick Development Association, in conjunction with its members, produce a wide range of specialist books and other publications on all matters relating to the sound and imaginative design and specification of bricks and brickwork.
A series of Design Guides and File Notes directed at structural and civil engineers.
- Masonry Design for Disproportionate Collapse
- The Design of Brickwork Retaining Walls
- Brickwork Arch Bridges
- Accidental Damage, Robustness & Stability
- Design for Movement in Brickwork
- Design of Diaphragm Walls
- Design of Brick Fin Walls in Tall Single-Storey Buildings
- Design of Free Standing Walls
- Load Bearing Brickwork Cross-Wall Construction
- The Design of Flexible Pavements surfaced with Clay Pavers
- The Design of Laterally Loaded Walls
Brickwork Design & Detailing
A range of publications covering the design, detailing and specification of bricks and brickwork in building construction in general terms.
Brickwork Maintenance and Repair
Publications on the maintenance and repair of brickwork.
Brick Information Sheets
Short technical articles on one or two specific issues of interest.
- Frost Resistance of Clay Bricks
- Verticality of Perpends/Recessed Joints
- Water Repellent Coatings / Frog up – Frog Down
- Colour Consistency / Causes of Inconsistency
- Re-pointing of Brickwork
- Bricklaying in Winter Conditions
- Site Safety Precautions when Cleaning Brickwork
- Tinting Brickwork Colour Variation Information
Publications on the sustainability issues of bricks and brickwork.
Severely Exposed Brickwork
This document design advice to all those in the delivery chain, to help them achieve long lasting results when considering external works such as; freestanding garden and retaining walls and chimneys which should always be considered as very severely exposed to frost attack regardless of geographical location.
These publications are apart of a series of three guides entitled ‘How to design masonry structures using Eurocode 6′. The aim is to make the use of Eurocode 6, Design of masonry structures as easy as possible by drawing together in one place key information and commentary required for the design of typical masonry elements.
Brick – First Construction Product to be Awarded Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
Following a Life Cycle Assessment carried out by the BRE for Sustainable Products, the Brick Development Association’s (BDA) generic brick has been awarded an Environmental Product Declaration. The generic brick is the first construction industry product to be verified under BRE Global’s recently launched EN15804 Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) scheme.
Resource Efficiency Action Plan (REAP)
The Construction Industry’s key manufacturing sectors of clay bricks and clay blocks, precast concrete and ready-mixed concrete, have joined forces to launch Resource Efficiency Action Plans (REAPs) demonstrating their commitment to increasing the opportunity for recycling and reusing recovered materials, throughout the whole-life of these materials.